Marketing & Communications Department
Under the general direction of the Director, Events & Sponsorships, the Events Manager is responsible for the planning, management, and execution of events reaching multiple audiences (large scale walk, community events, fundraisers, summits, etc.) He/she is responsible for ensuring that all events: a) reflect an understanding of the target audience(s) needs, wants, and attitudes, b) help to establish, build, and maintain a relationship with the target audience(s), c) connect the target audience with the brand and the mission, and d) create an atmosphere that is engaging, inspirational, and enjoyable.
- Manage all aspects of events and programs including: project planning, budgets, communications, production, site planning, production, venues and vendors, staffing, analysis and reporting, and flawless execution day of event.
- Create systems, policies and procedures for effective fundraising, recruitment and retention of event participants, partners, and sponsors
- Develop online and offline communication materials
- Create and manage accurate records of event participation and attendance
- Develop strategic relationships with venues, vendors, key stakeholders, corporate, etc.
- Develop a deep understanding of UWGLA’s brand, mission, and positioning to ensure that all materials leverage the brand and communicate our message clearly and effectively.
- Manage the development and production of event marketing collateral following all UWGLA guidelines – including but not limited to: brochures, invitations (printed and digital), programs, constant contact emails and direct mail pieces.
- Collaborate cross departmentally to determine goals, measurable outcomes and content, incorporating “mission moments” and fundraising opportunities.
- Negotiate vendor contracts and pricing, and securing in-kind donations when needed.
- Contribute innovative ideas and solutions to all events.
- Serve as the lead staff member executing HomeWalk, a 13,000+ person 5K run/walk to end Homelessness. In addition to the oversight and management of all event components, will also be responsible for:
- Recruitment and fundraising strategies, including team captain trainings, corporate team strategies, fundraising how-to videos and materials, United Way staff and departmental incentives, rewards and recognition
- Conception and execution of Education Journey – an interactive, onsite experience to teach participants about the issue of homelessness and promote discussion, engagement and user-generated content
- Debrief with internal and external stakeholders, consolidate reports, surveys, debriefs and media coverage to provide outcomes and recommendations for following year
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required; minimum 4 years successful experience in developing and executing events
- Prior Fundraising and/or Sales experience a plus
- Proven track record leveraging opportunities, managing vendors and motivating volunteers to successful execution of an event
- Ability to analyze event data and report out [with recommendations]
- Enthusiasm, creativity, sense of humor and can-do attitude
- Experience with large scale events (1,000+ attendees)
- Must be able to successful manage multiple priorities and demonstrate confidence working with committees, vendors, donors and volunteers
- Comprehensive understanding of budgeting and accounting principles
- Should possess strong interpersonal, exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Must have ability to successfully work independently and within a team environment
- Must be a team player with demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service, exercise initiative, independent good judgement, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making
- Should be results-driven and detail-oriented, with a strong work ethic and high level of integrity
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable fundraising database software a plus
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume and salary to Hiring Recruiter at email@example.com
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.