Under the general direction of the Vice President, Development, the Director, Major Gifts works closely with the organization's staff and volunteer leadership to identify, develop, cultivate, solicit and enhance relationships with current and prospective donors, that have the capacity to give major gifts (donations of $10,000 or more annually). The Director, Major Gifts manages a team of Major Gifts Officers, as well as dedicated team support, and will be responsible annually for the delivery of increased revenue from an existing portfolio of donors and new revenue from a pipeline of high net worth prospects.
- Conceptualize, develop, and execute effective strategies to increase fundraising results from major gifts donors (donors who contribute $10,000 or more) to United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Collaborate with other Development Department leadership to enhance philanthropic gift opportunities within companies and the private sector.
- Develop customized strategies to identify and cultivate prospects at all times for the purpose of converting them into donors, volunteers, and advocates of United Way of Greater Los Angeles.
- Strategize large gift solicitations demonstrating sensitivity to the interests and motivations of prospects.
- Serve as United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ liaison and relationship manager to assigned portfolio of Major Gifts donors.
- Cultivate one-on-one relationships with assigned donors that enhance their connections and lifetime loyalty to United Way. Oversee renewal solicitations of assigned portfolio of donors.
- Generate written gift solicitation proposals to prospective high net worth donors.
- Oversee the close tracking of all key institutional donor and prospect deadlines.
- Actively support the development of a donor relations data system (CRM) to maintain and capture critical donor information.
- Oversee the maintenance of complete and accurate data for assigned portfolio and prospective donors, including physical records and electronic database.
- Provide exceptional customer service and stewardship.
- Develop and implement market segment strategies as required for one-on-one donor relationship building; provide statistical analysis and market evaluation as needed.
- Provide thorough analysis of major gifts and family foundation giving results and opportunities.
- Provide leadership and support to cultivate and grow assigned affinity groups.
- Communicate and integrate with internal departments and operations to strengthen company relationships and develop greater customer services.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Master’s or equivalent advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years experience raising donations from high-net worth individuals, while utilizing a variety of giving vehicles.
- Must have successfully managed and developed a team of high-performing professionals; team of 4 or more.
- Demonstrated success managing relationships with current and prospective high net worth donors, resulting in increased donations of $10,000 or more.
- Must be able to work both independently and as a team member to achieve common goals.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all organizational levels within a diverse environment.
- Should possess strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to accurately manage and analyze data.
- Must have excellent relationship building skills, strong organization, and follow up skills.
- Must be able to exercise initiative, independent good judgment, flexibility, discretion, and solid decision making.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple priorities and demonstrate confidence working with corporate and community leaders.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Work, Outlook, and PowerPoint is essential; experience using Microsoft CRM or comparable fundraising database software preferred.
Interested candidates please email a cover letter, resume, and salary history, with the "Director, Major Gifts" position title in the subject line, to Ben Lambert of Berkhemer Clayton Executive Search at email@example.com
No phone calls please.
United Way of Greater Los Angeles is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or status as a veteran. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications, abilities and business needs.